Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Momma - There's a hole in my foot!

Thanks to the rain and the humidity I have yet another round of thrush to deal with. This time it is REALLY BAD! Thrush is a anaerobic bacertial infection that horses can get in their feet when the conditions are right for it - and so far they have been. Epsom Salt soaks, Keratex flushes, and Iodine plunging have beenhow I have been spending my afternoons lately. And let me tell you - giving a hot soak to four feet in this heat is taking it's toll on man and beast!

So here is the problem I am dealing.

Nice hole huh? Yeah I thought so. So did my farrier, who proceeded to tell me that I better get on top of this and quick! Well, DAHHH!

And so it starts with a 15-20 minute Epsom Salt soak - with each foot. Then you dry the foot and make sure it is clean.

When they are dry - which is never really quickly - it is time for the Keretex. This helps to harden the foot and sole. When that dries it releases antimicrobal agents.

Then the worst part comes... The 7% iodine... NO MOM NOT THE IODINE!!!!

Yes my dear beloved friend the Iodine. NO I AM NOT GOING TO PICK UP MY FOOT! I AM NOT GOING TO IT! Yes you are Reef. NO! NO! NO! OUCH THAT HURT! OK HERE IS MY FOOT...
And so it goes with each foot.

See the Iodine dries things out and kills the bacteria. This is the good part. The bad part is that it stings... A LOT...without any infection. So by the time I am done wrestling Reef's feet off the ground, plunging Iodine in his feet and avoiding getting kicked or struck at Reef is a shaking mess and I am drunched from sweat.

We kiss and make up in the end and everyday the Iodine part is getting easier and easier to deal with. Although my hands look like I had a bad self tanning accident, it is healing.
HAPPY TRAILS TO YOU, UNTIL TOMORROW!

4 Comments:

At 3:12 PM, Blogger Beakerz said...

poor horsy!! and you drink lots o' water (like i need to say anything ;)

oh yea, and slow the fuck down! loL!!

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger NoodleP said...

Breaking the law, breaking the law!

Hey I was able to get my horsie whirlpool tub up so I can soak both front feet at the same time. And Reef gets a foot massage....

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger honeykbee said...

Considering the hulabaloo that goes on each time I try to cut Jakes nails, I can't even imagine the exponential magnitude of Reef's condition. Hang in there, horsie and momma

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger honeykbee said...

Thats right. I said hulabaloo.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker